Saturday, September 16, 2017

9-16-17

Meals Today:
Breakfast = fresh fruit + orange juice + gluten free toast
Lunch = sushi + popcorn
Snack = fish and chips
Supper = salad + spinach roll thing + steamed veggies + a humus, veggie roll + lamb 'chunks' + lemonade + water 

    Today I woke up around 8 am, but I didn't actually get out of bed until around 9 am. Once I finally got up, I took my time getting ready for the day and ate breakfast. Jeanette and Paul had went to the market or something for a bit so she texted me and said they'd be back shortly.
     After getting ready and eating breakfast, I used that time to FaceTime my family. Usually we just talk on the phone over speaker, so it was nice to be able to see them and actually talk to them 'face-to-face'. We talked for quite awhile, but our conversation was cut a bit short because Jeanette and Paul had gotten home and so therefore they wanted to take off shortly after their return. This was alright because I wanted to see the city as well, so I plan on calling my family back again tomorrow. Due to the 15 hour time difference, our times to talk are limited, so on the weekends it'll work better to call and have a long talk with them.
    Today, we left and went down to a health food shop. Jeanette is a big 'organic' and health food person, plus this shop was having a 30% off sale so that was nice. I noticed while we were there, that we have some of the same brands back home. I also realized how expensive everything was. She only got about 7 or 8 things I would say plus the 30% off it was still over $100. I couldn't believe it! Needless to say, I don't plan on buying anything really unless I need it!
    After the shop, we went down to the metro so I could finalize my Working With Children Permit. When I had applied for it the first time on my own, I put my birthday it as we normally do ex. mm/dd/yyyy but here they do dd/mm/yyyy so my entry was backwards to them. The lady therefore couldn't finish putting me into the system until I changed that. Luckily they had computers there that I could use, I reapplied, and now I have that taken care of.
    Finally, after finishing all of our business, we took of towards the city and on to Hornsby. This trip took over an hour because the traffic was so bad. We had also taken Paul's car, so actually the train would've been faster but this way we could come and go as we pleased. It was really funny because Paul takes a lot of pride in his car, so I wasn't allowed to open or close the door. He did that for me because he didn't want the doors to be slammed. It was a different experience, but I understand that in the city, cars are expensive and plus there is so much public transports that you really don't need one. Jeanette for example doesn't own a car and she has never even had a driver's license.
     Finally, we made it to Hornsby. Jeanette had free movie passes so she dropped me off and went to see her mom. It was her mom's birthday. I saw Rip Tide and it was really good even though I believe I was the oldest one in the theater. Also, there were a bunch of kids running around and being obnoxious, but I still enjoyed the movie. One thing about going to a movie here, you can bring snacks and drinks into the movie and no one says anything. It was nice to be able to bring snacks from 'home' and not have to pay and arm and a leg for snacks at the theater.
    After the movie, Jeanette and Paul were waiting for me outside. We then went down to the bottom floor (I forgot to mention that the movie theater was on the 3rd floor of the Hornsby mall) and I got to meet Jeanette's mom, her brother, and her mom's boyfriend. They seemed like really nice people.
    After meeting them briefly, we left the mall and went to a little shop and had fish and chips for a 'snack'. It was pretty good, but I can't say it was the best fish I've ever had. It was a good experience though.
    Once we were done eating then, we got back in the car and headed back. On the way home the traffic wasn't so bad so that was nice. We also took a different way home so I was able to see more of the city and the harbor from a different view. *I also forgot to mention before, but we took harbor bridge and I was able to see the Sydney Opera House out my window on they way over the bridge. It was amazing and I'm looking forward to tomorrow when we are able to see it more in depth and closer up!
    Here in Sydney, they have a thing called "Family Fun Day" on Sundays. This means that you can ride the train, bus, or ferry as much as you want and it only costs $2.50 for the whole day so hopefully we can ride the train there and then go on a ferry tour around the harbor! I'm looking forward to that!
    After we got home then, I went to my room and started working on my lesson plans for Monday. I believe I got my math one done along with a slideshow I will use during the lesson.
    Next, we had supper. After talking for awhile and then after supper we got to talking about the farm I live on so I showed everyone a picture of my farm, the different crops we got, and some of the equipment we use on the farm during harvest and seeding. It's so funny because they have never really even heard of this stuff, but growing up with it I see it every day and it's part of my lifestyle! It's really amazing how different parts of the world are.
    After that, I worked some more on my lesson plans and now updated this blog. I am now going to get to bed shortly and enjoy another day of sleeping in! Along with a busy day in the city I am also planning on doing laundry, so hopefully I get to it along with FaceTiming family and friends some more in the morning!

Goodnight everyone and I'll hopefully have lots of pictures to post tomorrow!
The view of Darling Harbor from the Harbor Bridge. The Sydney Opera House would be on the other side of this!
 The big fountain/ cloth in the middle of the mall. This is where I saw the movie and we ate fish and chips!
      A view of the city from another bridge we took on the way home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment