Monday, September 11, 2017

Arrived at Sydney!

I have arrived in Sydney, and it is absolutely amazing so far. A bit overwhelming but that's usually how it is when you go to a new place!

My flight details:
    On Sep. 9, 2017 I flew out of Fargo at 1:20 pm to Denver. I arrived with a bumpy landing in Denver at 2:16 pm. The flight was supposed to be about 2 hours long but it ended up being more like 1.5 hours. Also, there was a time change so that's why the times don't add up.
    Once I arrived in Denver, I made sure to text my family to know I had arrived and I found the next gate I would be taking. I found it with plenty of time to spare because my flight didn't leave until 5:35 pm. Once we boarded, it was supposed to take about 2 hours again but thankfully it only took about 1.5 hours again to arrive in Dallas so we got there around 8:36 pm but there was a time change again.
    When we arrived in Dallas, my last stop before Sydney, I had to find that gate which was a bit more tricky because I had to take the light rail to my gate. After finding my gate I had to print my next ticket because I was now switching airlines and Fargo couldn't print my Quantas ticket. This actually turned out well because I was able to switch from an isle seat to a window seat which is not only better for looking out, but it also makes a good headrest for sleeping as well.
    Finally, we started boarding the plane around 9:30 pm and took off around 10:15 pm. Now began the longest flight, I believe, in the whole world and if it isn't, it's close. The total flight duration was 16 hours and 50 minutes! When we got on the plane I took a little nap for about an hour and then they served us supper. The choices were; a chicken salad, pasta, or a beef stir fry. I chose the stir fry and it was pretty good for basically a TV dinner. We also received a bun and mango cheesecake.
    After supper then, I decided to actually go to sleep and try to get as much rest as I could so the time difference wasn't so bad once I arrived. Luckily I sleep really well in basically any vehicle so the next time I woke up, I had slept for about 8-9 hours!! I got up, stretched my legs, went to the bathroom, and then sat down and started a movie. I first watched The Accountant and then without much luck to try to go back to sleep, I watched Everything, Everything. After the 2nd movie I got up again to stretch and use the bathroom.
    Next, they served breakfast (they did have a snack in the middle there, but I was asleep at the time). There was a choice between scrambled eggs and fresh fruit. I chose the scrambled eggs which also came with hashbrowns, a sausage, some tomato sauce on the top, bacon, and mushrooms in the dish. There was also yogurt and a muffin as well. I usually don't eat breakfast, but I ate most of it! The muffin was DELICIOUS!
    After breakfast then, I decided to get a little more sleep before we landed so I took another hour rest. At about 5:30 am the captain spoke and said we would be starting our decent. The sun was just starting to come it (it was dark the WHOLE way which made sleeping a lot easier) and I was able to look out the window to see ocean and then Sydney as we approached land. The whole flight went very well and we didn't even have a whole lot of turbulence which was great.

Sidenotes:
*The lady I sat by on the plane was the sweetest lady ever. She was probably in her sixties and was originally from Australia, but she had married an American so had been living in Cincinnati for the last 30ish years. She gave me a lot of advice on food and what I should all see and do during my time here which was very helpful. I enjoyed her company a lot and was glad I got to sit by her!
*If you are going on a long flight like this, take a baby aspirin a couple days before and the days you are flying as well because it will help with blood clots.
*Bring a blanket. Even though they supply blankets and pillows on the plane, it was really cold so I would bring an extra blanket just in case. I'm glad I did.
*Wear your glasses if you have contacts. This way you won't have to worry about sleeping in them or having to try to take them out on the plane.
*Pack your toothbrush, toothpaste, and deodorant in you carry-on so it is easy to access. Trust me, you will need it!

    Once we landed in Sydney, we got off the plane and went to the e-passport kiosks to "check-in" at the airport. Next game baggage pickup, which took FOREVER because there had been a plane before ours that had put their luggage on the same belt as ours so they had to get that unloaded before they got to our plane's luggage.
    After waiting for about 30 minutes, I finally received my luggage and was disappointed to see that the label 'bar' had been ripped off and I was missing a wheel :(, but everything was still in there so I guess that is all that matters. Next, I went to customs. At first I went to the wrong gate because I didn't realize there were different gates depending how you answered the questions on your immigration card. I had marked 'yes' for; Have you been on a farm, in contact with farm animals, or been near soil that could still be on your shoes in the past week? so therefore I had to go to the Agriculture gate. This was such a waste of time because the guy literally just looked at my card, said "oh, you're from Dallas?" to which I replied "no, I'm actually from North Dakota", and then he pointed me to the exit sign. I didn't have to go through a different line or anything. Oh well.
    On my way towards the exit, I then called the principal of the school where I will be student teaching because he was the one who was to pick me. He told me traffic was bad, but he'd be there in 10-15 minutes so I just stood around and waited.
    He picked me up right on time, and we loaded up his car. He drives a Volvo car, the steering wheel is on the 'wrong side' which threw me off, and the car shuts off after about 3-5 seconds of not moving which I found to be very strange at first but then really cool after I figured it out! Traffic was pretty heavy, but we finally got to the International Grammar School after about 30 minutes. He parked, dropped off his stuff in his office, and then showed me around the school. The school is very interesting and a lot different then our schools back home.
    Next, we went for coffee because he told me Australia has way better coffee then America, which I did think it was good but I expected it to be maybe a little better then he hyped it up to be. After coffee and talking for a bit he took me to the shopping center that has a Kmart and other shops in it. He said this would be a good place to come if I need anything, probably for clothes shopping, but everything else. Then we went to a little convenience shop so I could get my Opal card that I use for the bus, ferry, or train rides I may be taking. I plan on taking the bus to school everyday so I put $50 on the card right away.
    After that, we went back to the school and I was able to meet with my cooperating teacher. We talked a little about him, his class, and the school itself. I will be in a 5th grade classroom and he said this group of kids is really great so that's exciting! He also took me on a more in depth tour of the school and I found out that Australian schools don't have cafeterias. The kids either pack their lunches or they go to the 'canteen', which is like a market, to get lunch.
    Finally after all of this the principal took me to Earlwood which is the suburb of Sydney where I am staying. The lady I am staying with wasn't here right away because she was at work, so the older guy who stays here sometimes showed me to my room and gave me the wifi password so I could call my family using Whatsapp (you can call, text, and video on it over wifi so I would highly recommend it). First, I showered though because after that long of flight it was needed. After that then I called my parents and let them know how everything went and how it was going. When I finally got off the phone, it was about 1 pm on Monday, September 11th here and 10 pm on Sunday, September 10th (the day I never had) there. This time change will take some getting used to.
    After talking to them, I asked the guy who showed me around if he would take me to the bus stop that I would be using. He is quite the talker, loves the USA, and is a huge horse person so he talked a lot and asked me questions as we went on our walk.
    While walking, I saw a lizard and so I asked him about snakes. He said I won't see any snakes in Sydney so I really hope he knows what he is talking about!
    We finally made it to the bus stop which was about a 10-15 minute walk from the house where I am staying. Not too bad, but it might take some getting used to having to get up that early before I have to be at the school. I have to be to school at 8:15 or a bit after and I believe I will have to leave the house around 7-7:15ish, I wish it was within walking distance but I guess it could be worse.
    After our walk, I came back and unpacked my things. My room is pretty small, but it's nice and it's to myself so that will be good to work on lessons and other assignments I will have to do. Now I have been checking emails, updating this blog, and getting things in order for tomorrow and Wednesday!

Tomorrow I plan on going into the city to check things out and to test out the bus route. I will check in tomorrow again. Wish me luck! :)

 This plane was huge! There were 2 floors, it went 3-4-3 for seats, and there was at least on other section like this farther back behind us. 
 The sunset from the plane!
 Coming into Sydney! 
 The first thing I ate in Sydney, coffee with milk and a cinnamon-apple muffin.  
 The hillside. Most of Sydney is build on sandstone so the road we walked on to the bus stop had sandstone and rocks going all the way high up with more building built on top of it farther up. 
  
My cute, little nook at the place where I am staying! 

     
         

2 comments:

  1. This was just awesome to read! U are a fantastic writer😘. I'll be on the edge of my seat, waiting for the next "episode"!😊

    ReplyDelete