Monday, October 16, 2017

10-16-2017

Meals Today:
Breakfast = fresh fruit + yogurt + 1 slice peanut butter toast + milk
Lunch = salad with tomatoes, peppers, cheese, ham, egg, and honey mustard + orange and poppyseed muffin + water
Snack = banana after my workout
Supper = BBQ ribs + tried a vegan hot dog (not the best) + rice + salad + steamed veggies + ice cream bar + water

Schedule:
8:35 - Roll Call/ Silent Reading
8:45 - Casey's Topic Lesson (I read chapters 2,3, and 4 to them out of Hatchet. Then we had a little discussion and they answered some comprehension questions in their topic journals.)
9:25 - Continuing my lesson
10:00 - Language
10:40 - Recess
11:00 - Language
11:40 Casey's Math Lesson on Capacity (measuring capacity in mL, L, and kL and converting between the 3)
12:20 - Math rotation #3
1:00 - Lunch
1:55 - Explaining the homework and spelling for the week.
2:35 - Music
3:15 - Music

    Today I woke up, got ready, and ate breakfast and I was actually early to leave for the bus which gave me a little extra time to relax until I had to leave. It was nice!
    Then, I walked to the bus stop and got on the 423 at 7:20.
    I got to school around 7:50 and got ready for the day. I wrote my 'daily quote' on the board and did my journal reflection that I was supposed to hand in on Friday to my supervisor but I completely forgot. Whoops!
    After that, I looked over my lesson quick as the kids started coming in and school started.
    I thought the 3rd day of my topic (shipwrecked) lesson today. I just read 3 chapters to them and they answered some comprehension questions. It was a good lesson and a little more laid back so that was nice, but we still got through a lot of material so it was very productive too.
    During language and recess and worked really hard on my lessons for tomorrow so I could have the afternoon to workout and get ahead on lessons and homework. This worked really well so hopefully each day I can have the focus and drive to work that hard! I also made a phone call to the Homestay Network (the company I went through for my housing) and got my bill/ money taken care of. Because I had gone traveling, I didn't want to be charged for the days I wasn't here so we got that taken care of and she explained what everything on the current ledger meant. She was super helpful and I'm glad it's taken care of now.
    Next, I taught my Math lesson on Capacity. I really enjoy math, but I find it is the hardest subject to teach because the kids either understand it and they don't. So after I explained capacity, gave them examples, and told them what to do for the activity, I then gave the class the option to come up and go over the first couple questions as a group so I could explain it better to them. After a couple questions everyone understood so I was really happy about that! I have never done this before, but I plan to start doing it more because it worked really well.
    After lunch, I explained most of the homework and then the kids worked on their spelling for the little bit of class time we had left. We then packed up and they went to music.
    I was technically done at 2:35 but I stayed around until about 3:40 to correct work and to finish up my lesson plans for tomorrow.
    I then left the school and luckily caught the 423 right away as I got to the bus stop so I didn't even have to wait!
    I got 'home' at 4:20, did a few things, changed, and then started my workout. I did a 30 minute workout off my Nike app and then went for a 3 mile run!
    When I got back I showered and started working on my Teacher Work Sample that I have to do for my Capstone class and then supper was ready.
    For supper, it was just Jeanette and I because Paul had went back to his house, Lewis was out with a friend, and Takuya was out I'm not sure where. It was good to have a nice, quiet supper and talk about our day just the two of us.
    After supper then, I worked some more on my Teacher Work Sample and then wrote this blog entry. I then got ready for bed, read for a bit, and went to bed around 10. I have to get up a bit earlier in the morning to make a call back home. I really like it here but the time difference is hard at times (I am ahead of the people at home by 16 hours!!).
   
*Tomorrow, I teach 4 periods so wish me luck! :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment