Sunday, October 8, 2017

9-26-2017

My Day:
- Got up at 5:40 am and got ready
- I walked down to the office and jetty area at 6:50 to be there at 7 am
- We started boarding the boat at 7:30 am
- Coffee and muffins were served on the boat for morning tea
- I also met a guy from Germany and 2 girls from Norway. They were really nice.
- It took about 2 and a half hours to get to Flynn Reef on the boat (I took an anti-nausea tablet to make sure I wouldn't get sick on the boat, I highly recommend them! They work wonders)
- On the way to the reef they got everyone together who was going to scuba dive and discussed what the plan was. I was put in group 3 so I was able to snorkel for a bit first and then once they called me I went and got suited up to dive.
- I followed one of the 'guides' around so he could show us where and what stuff was as we saw it. It was really cool and a lot of fun!
- After quite awhile of snorkeling, they called us and we got our gear on. Next they told us to stand up and holy crap was all the equipment heavy!
- After putting everything on, keep in mind I was already kind of tired from all the swimming during snorkeling, they then had you get in the water. The next step was making sure you were breathing properly and your ears could equalize as you went down. Well, after just putting my head under water for the first time and trying to steady my breathing I knew I couldn't do it. I felt very afraid because of all the heavy equipment, I kept getting water up my nose in my mask, and you basically just breath out of a tube so I didn't think it was going to work. I told the guide this and he said to just give it a try and see if my ears would equalize.
On the flight from Brisbane to Cairns I had a problem with my ears plugging and not being able to unplug them so I didn't know if that was going to work either. I was right and on the way down to the second rope (they had 2 and the 2nd one was a meter down to test out your ears) I couldn't get one of my ears to unplug. We tried this a second time and I think if I really would've wanted to it would've worked but I was really nervous and tired so I didn't think I would fully enjoy it so I blamed it on my ears.
- Next I got out of the water, took my gear off, and went to eat lunch. They served salads, rice, and some really spicy chicken. It was good but a bit too spicy for me.
- Next, we made our way to the Melon Reef. Here I snorkeled for a bit and then was getting tired so I went up to the front of the boat and enjoyed the sun and the breeze. I may have stayed out there a bit too long and got pretty burnt but it was my last full day in the sun so I wanted to enjoy it!
- Finally, after a long day, I got back to the YHA around 6.
- Next I showered and got ready to go to the Woolshed where they were serving free pizza. So, a bunch of people staying at the YHA left around 8.
- We finally got our pizza around 8:45 and then the free drinks for ladies night didn't start until 10 so we waited around and chatted. I talked to a German girl for the majority of the night along with a group of guys that came and sat by us.
- The club we were at was a bit odd so we left around 11:30 pm because I was tired. It had been a long day.
- Then I got ready for bed and was in bed by 12
 Our boat for the day. 
 Amazing views as we traveled out to the reef!



 The group I met and hung out with for most of the day! 
 Getting some sun! 



 A nice cider to finish off the day!
 Views on the way back!

Zumba in the park on my way back!  
The German girl I met (I can't remember her name) and I at the Woolshed.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment