Monday, October 23, 2017

10-23-2017

Weather: High of 69, mostly sunny

Breakfast = fresh fruit + yogurt + 1 slice peanut butter toast + milk
Lunch = salad with tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, egg, and honey mustard + banana + water
Supper = salad + steamed veggies + lentil burger + BBQ ribs + cheesecake + lemonade

Schedule:
8:35 - Silent Reading/ Roll Call
8:45 - Drama: 3 Activities based on the book The Island
9:25 - Drama: carry over from period before
10:00 - Language
10:40 - Recess
11:00 - Langauge
11:40 - Math: Mass Lesson
12:20 - Math: Rotation #1
1:00 - Lunch
1:55 - Read 5 pages from Hatchet, started Spelling unit 23, went over the homework for the week
2:35 - Music
3:15 - Music/ Home time

    Today I got up, got ready, ate breakfast, and walked to the bus stop. I got the 7:18 bus and was to school by 7:55.
    Once I got to school I got the schedule for the day ready, changed the date, wrote my quote of the day, and looked over my lessons for the day. Today was my first day of being the full time teacher so I wanted everything to go well.
    At 8:35 the students started to come in so once everyone was there, Mr. Engelbert told them I would be the main teacher this week. I then took roll and we started drama right at 8:45.
    My drama lesson went really well. They did 3 activities on the book we are reading called The Island by Armin Greder. The students followed directions and I was really impressed about how well everything went.
    They went off to language, recess, and more language starting at 10:00, so I was able to look over my next couple lessons and get stuff ready that I needed.
    At 11:40, we started the math lesson on math. These two periods were my worst lessons so far. The video I had picked wasn't very helpful at explaining mass as I thought it would be, the questions that went along with it didn't work, and I had forgotten the 5th math group. It was all over the place and very stressful. Once everyone got into their groups, it went better and I felt more confident but because we didn't do much of the introduction lesson, we ended too early. I then had the students start their letters home that deals with our topic of shipwrecked. This was a good example of having to be flexible.
    I really enjoy math, but I find it to be the most difficult to teach because either students understand it or they don't. This lesson was really bad, but it was a good learning experience. My teachers was really good about giving me advice and pointers but also saying that it is ok. Don't worry about it because things happen and you can't be perfect.
    Next we had lunch.
    After lunch, I read 6 pages from Hatchet, explained the homework for the week and they started unit 23 in their Spelling books.
     At 2:30 then, we started packing up and sent them off to music. The day was done. I can't believe how fast it went!
     Finally I got home at 4:40.
    I relaxed until about 5 and did a 45 minute workout off my Nike app. This was great and I was able to let all the stress and worry go from the events of the day.
    After that, I did a little homework and lesson planning before supper which was at 7:00.
    We ate and then I showered and got ready for bed.
     I then updated my journal, read a chapter in my book, and went to bed around 10.

Tomorrow is a new day! Wish me luck :)

 The snail I saw on my way to the bus stop today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment